Tours and Organizations
These three organizations sponsor special tours, walks, and educational
events. Many events cost money and require reservations. The ones
I've participated in have all been excellent. This site describes
tours with the towns where they take place. For detailed schedules,
contact the organizations.
Pond Visitor Center
Route 6, Eastham
Race Point Road
When you go to the National
Seashore web site, select "Places" from the top menu.
There you will find good descriptions of the territory, the trails,
and the Visitor Centers. The web site does not show the schedule
for tours. Call or stop by one of the Visitor Centers to get a paper
schedule of the many excellent boating, hiking, and other events.
They will mail a schedule on request. Here's a sampling of tours
and special events.
- Sunset stroll on Nauset Beach, Orleans
- Tours of Kent's Point, Orleans
- Exploration of what lives in the tidal
flats at Chatham Stage Harbor, Eastham's Salt Pond, Wellfleet's
Great Island, and Provincetown's Hatches Harbor and West End.
- Surfcasting 101 at Salt Pond and Provincetown
- Morning meadow walk in Eastham
- Shellfishing demonstration at Salt Pond
- Canoe trips to many places, and canoe
lessons at Salt Pond
- Walks at Salt Pond include "The
Outermost Beach" and "Underseas Mysteries of Nauset
- "Natural Resources up Close"
walk looks at how the Seashore manages resources
- Tour of historic Captain Penniman House
in Eastham and Atwood-Higgins House in Wellfleet including a costumed
- Lighthouse tour at Three Sisters
- Campfire on the Beach in Eastham, Truro,
- "Whooo's Out Tonight" night
walk in Eastham
- Dunes walks in Provincetown and Truro
- "Life at Truro Highlands" walk
and history in Highland Light area
- Birdwatching at Eastham and Provincetown
- Monday Morning Hiking Club, trips of
3-5 miles at different places
- Historical walking tour of Provincetown
(with Pilgrim Monument)
- Open house and historic drill at Old
Harbor Life-Saving Station.
Bay Wildlife Sanctuary
Massachusetts Audobon Society
291 Route 6 (just past Eastham)
The sanctuary web site has complete tour and trail information.
It will send a schedule of events upon request and you can pick
up a schedule at the sanctuary. Here's a sampling of tours and special
- Chatham Seal cruises
- Nauset Marsh cruises including special
cruises for birders and families
- North and South Monomoy Island tours
including special tours for birders
- Chatham South Beach special birding walks
- Chatham North Beach family hike
- Cape Cod Bay Marine Life cruise
- Canoeing trips in a variety of waters
from Brewster to Provincetown, including a few twilight and full
moon canoe trips.
- Evening bayside talks at the sanctuary
- Many family and children's programs at
Cod Museum of Natural History
869 Route 6A
The museum web site has complete tour and trail information. It
will send a schedule of events upon request and you can pick up
a schedule at the museum. Here's a sampling of tours and special
- Monomoy Wildlife Refuge cruise, in the
waters around Morris Island
- South Monomoy Island day trips and overnight
- North Monomoy trips
- Seal cruises
- Canoe and kayak trips
- Pleasant Bay marsh cruise
- Day and overnight trips to Provincetown
- Field walks at the museum
- Many educational, family and children's
programs at the museum.